THE HISTORY OF IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH
In the early 1800's, there was a visiting Catholic priest whose territory included the North Shore, the Waianae coast and the Ewa areas. Mass was celebrated infrequently at a small chapel in Honouliuli. In these early years, sugar farming was not a thriving economy.
However, in the late 1870's, with the use of artesian wells and improved farming techniques, sugar plantations became more profitable and grew into an important economic source for Hawaii.
By the late 1880's, the sugar plantation population had grown into and a small village named "Ewa" was formed. These sugar workers were immigrants from Portugal, Philippines and Japan: many of them were Catholic.
By 1891, a Catholic cemetery was established and a new chapel was build close to the sugar mill. In time, the Catholic population outgrew this small chapel and in 1929, a larger church was constructed on land owned by the Catholic Diocese.
This wooden Gothic style church was designed by Fr. Charles Windels SSCC who also did much of the construction work himself.
Today, this church is known as Immaculate ConceptonChurch and it is a landmark on Renton Road.
The Ewa area is again undergoing significant changes and growth. The sugar can lands are being developed into housing, and Kapolei, is becoming the "second city" to Honolulu with housing, businesses, and government services. It is projected by the year 2010, the population in Ewa will be 126,437 people.
Many parishioners are the immigrants who worked at the sugar plantations or in the sugar mill, and their families. Because of the growth in the Ewa area, our parishioners are of different ethnicities and many are young families.